What is acute renal failure?

Acute renal failure can occur over a gradual process or it can occur abruptly. With acute renal failure the kidneys are unable to filter out the body’s waste products and rid the body of excess fluids. Acute renal failure can reverse but it can progress to complete renal failure which is a life threatening condition requiring dialysis. This individual will need to be under the care of a nephrologist. A renal diet and healthy life style will be an absolute requirement.

Continue Learning about Kidney Failure (Acute Kidney Failure)

What should I know to care for someone with postrenal acute renal failure?
Caring for someone with postrenal acute renal failure involves helping them follow medical advice. S...
What is an angiomyolipoma?
An angiomyolipoma is a benign (noncancer) tumor of fat and muscle tissue that usually is found in th...
How can my family and I cope with kidney failure?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
You and your family may have difficulty accepting the changes in your lives caused by kidney failure...
Can I choose where to die if I stop dialysis?
If you choose to stop dialysis, your wishes about where you want to die will be honored as much as p...