Can intrinsic acute renal failure be prevented?

Preventing intrinsic acute renal failure is complicated because it can be caused by a number of things that may or may not be preventable. In general, follow good general health habits that include a balanced diet and plenty of exercise. If you have a medical condition that may lead to kidney failure, such as a kidney or blood disease, make sure you follow your doctor's advice for managing or treating that condition. Stay hydrated, and avoid excessive alcohol, drugs, and other potentially toxic substances. Take drugs only as directed, including over the counter drugs. If you know you have a sensitivity or allergy to certain drugs or dyes used in medical procedures, alert your doctor to these conditions before undergoing those procedures. Make sure you talk to your doctor if you develop any symptoms that you think may be caused by intrinsic acute renal failure, since early treatment often leads to a full recovery.

Continue Learning about Kidney Failure (Acute Kidney Failure)

How do I manage my prerenal acute renal failure on a daily basis?
Prerenal acute renal failure can be a serious condition, but it generally is a temporary issue. It's...
What is end-stage renal failure?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
End-stage renal failure, or kidney failure, occurs when your kidneys are no longer able to support y...
Can I choose where to die if I stop dialysis?
If you choose to stop dialysis, your wishes about where you want to die will be honored as much as p...
What causes kidneys to stop working?
The two most common causes of kidney failure are high blood pressure and diabetes. It's important to...