Can I choose where to die if I stop dialysis?

If you choose to stop dialysis, your wishes about where you want to die will be honored as much as possible. Many people choose to die at home, where they feel more comfortable in familiar surroundings. If you choose this option, your social worker can assist you and your family in making any special arrangements for your care at home. A nursing home may be another option for some people. A hospital admission is not always available, depending on your insurance coverage and your overall medical condition. Your healthcare team can help you decide if hospitalization is an option for you if you wish. 

Continue Learning about Kidney Failure (Acute Kidney Failure)

Can a psychologist help a patient with renal failure?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
Actually a psychologist can serve many roles in helping a person with renal failure.  First, adheren...
When is kidney failure likely to be detected?
It may take years before routine blood and urine tests give clues that the kidneys are beginning to ...
What is prerenal acute renal failure?
Kynthia JamesKynthia James
Pre-renal failure is caused by a problem  that happens outside the kidneys such as decrease blood fl...
Can prerenal acute renal failure be prevented?
Kynthia JamesKynthia James
Prerenal failure is a rapid decline in renal function. There are so many different causes of renal f...