What is the recovery like for kidney donor surgery?

The recovery process for a living donor is very quick. Usually, after 1-2 days, the donor can return home to monitor things themselves.

After surgery, kidney donors spend several hours in the recovery room. Once awake and stable, they return to their hospital room, and family and friends may visit there. Most donors are in the hospital for two to three days following surgery. A return visit usually occurs three to four weeks after the surgery. In most cases, donors experience some discomfort in the incision area and receive pain medication for the first few days following surgery.

Continue Learning about Kidney Donation

Can a person live with one kidney?
A person can live with one kidney. In fact, most transplanted kidneys come from people who donated o...
How is a recipient for a deceased donor kidney chosen?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Federal law says that kidneys should be given out in a fair and efficient way. In the current system...
How can I donate a kidney to someone who I know is in need?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Donation of a kidney is the most commonly performed type of living organ donation. Often, a family m...
Dr. Lloyd Ratner - About Kidney Donation