How long will I need to stay in hospital if I become a live kidney donor?

Jeffrey L. Veale, MD
Urology
With laparoscopic surgery, live kidney donor operations have changed dramatically. In the past, donors would have a large incision often removing a piece of rib, and remain in hospital for one-week.

Now with laparoscopic donor surgery, it's a very small incision (called a Pfannenstiel), and most donors leave hospital the following day.

Continue Learning about Kidney Donation

What is an altruistic kidney donor?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
It is possible for a healthy individual to donate anonymously to a transplant waiting list (non-dire...
How long do I have to wait for a donor kidney?
Gabriel M. Danovitch, MDGabriel M. Danovitch, MD
Kidney transplants are the most common type of organ transplantation with more than 17,000 operation...
Does Medicare cover the cost of complications for a living kidney donor?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If the recipient has Medicare Part B it will cover the cost of complications for a living kidney don...
Dr. Lloyd Ratner - About Kidney Donation