Why would I need to take supplements if I have kidney disease?

You need to take supplements if you have kidney disease because in kidney disease, you lose important electrolytes and nutrients. Your kidneys stop working, and part of the kidneys' job is to filter out toxins but save essential nutrients and electrolytes. When your kidneys stop working, they can't do their job effectively, and you need supplements to replace the lost electrolytes and nutrients.
Your doctor will probably want you to take a variety of supplements if you have kidney disease.

B complex vitamins are grouped together, but each has a different job to do. One of the important functions of vitamin B6, B12 and folic acid is to work together with iron to prevent anemia. Additional B vitamins, called thiamine, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and niacin, can also be given as a supplement. These vitamins help to change the foods you eat into energy your body can use.

Vitamin C is used to keep many different types of tissue healthy. It also helps wounds and bruises heal faster and may help prevent infections.

Calcium along with vitamin D helps to keep your bones healthy. It is important to take only the amount of calcium prescribed by your doctor or dietitian. Too much calcium can clump together with phosphorus and deposit in places such as your heart, blood vessels, lungs and other body tissues.

In addition to maintaining healthy bones, newer research shows that vitamin D may also protect against heart disease. There are different types of vitamin D. Your doctor will be specific about the type and amount you should be taking.

Talk with your doctor or dietitian before taking any vitamins that are not ordered for you.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Have High Blood Pressure or Diabetes? Watch Out for This
They may not get as much press as your heart or brain, but your kidneys do a lot of good work. A pair of bean-shaped, fist-sized organs found on eithe...
What increases my risk for kidney disease?
In addition to diabetes and high blood pressure, other conditions that increase the risk of kidney d...
Is chronic kidney disease a common version of kidney disease?
Jonathan Brown, MDJonathan Brown, MD
Chronic kidney disease is the current term used to describe any number of conditions that lead to a ...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood