Why is eating fresh foods important if I need to reduce my salt intake?

Jonny Bowden
Because processed/prepared foods are overwhelmingly the number one source of sodium in the diet. Sodium intake is not just about how much salt you add to your food -- that's the least of it. It's the high amount of sodium in your deli foods, canned soups, packaged meals, and just about everything at a chain or fast food restaurant. When more of your diet comes from actual, real, fresh foods -- preferably prepared at home -- that means that less of your diet comes from food that was prepared FOR you (i.e. convenience foods, packaged dinners, canned foods, boxed foods) and that means you'll automatically be taking in way less sodium.

Melissa Stinson, NP
Nephrology
If you need to reduce your salt intake, buy fresh foods as often as possible. Typically, fresh fruits, vegetables and meats are low in sodium and healthier for your heart. Also, cooking from scratch can help you reduce your sodium intake while preventing you from eating prepared foods and frozen dinners. Although premade meals are an easier option if you have a busy schedule, the high salt content can make your blood pressure higher and produce more strain on your heart over the years.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Have High Blood Pressure or Diabetes? Watch Out for This
They may not get as much press as your heart or brain, but your kidneys do a lot of good work. A pair of bean-shaped, fist-sized organs found on eithe...
What happens if my test results show I may have chronic kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If your test results show that you may have chronic kidney disease, your doctor will want to pinpoin...
Why are African Americans at increased risk for chronic kidney disease?
African Americans and other ethnic groups are at increased risk for chronic kidney disease (CKD). Di...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood