Why should I drink lots of water if I have polycystic kidney disease (PKD)?

Anjay Rastogi, MD
Nephrology
If you have polycystic kidney disease (PKD), there are several reasons why you should drink plenty of fluids, especially water. Water without anything added to it is ideal. If you have any kind of kidney stone formation, drinking water will help flush it out. The single biggest thing you can do to prevent kidney stone formation is to drink plenty of fluids. As an added benefit, there's some evidence that drinking 2 to 2.5 liters of water a day may slow down cyst growth.

Around 2 to 2.5 liters of fluid intake is recommended for people with PKD. That should be throughout the day, not just in the morning and in the evening. Don't overdo it though, like drinking 10 liters, because there could be side effects of doing that.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d b...
Which herbal supplements have phosphorus, which is bad for kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Phosphorus is a mineral that may need to be limited in the diet of people with kidney disease, espec...
What is a normal GFR if I have polycystic kidney disease (PKD)?
Anjay Rastogi, MDAnjay Rastogi, MD
If you have polycystic kidney disease (PKD), a normal glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is considered...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood