Why should I drink lots of water if I have polycystic kidney disease (PKD)?

Anjay Rastogi, MD
Nephrology
If you have polycystic kidney disease (PKD), there are several reasons why you should drink plenty of fluids, especially water. Water without anything added to it is ideal. If you have any kind of kidney stone formation, drinking water will help flush it out. The single biggest thing you can do to prevent kidney stone formation is to drink plenty of fluids. As an added benefit, there's some evidence that drinking 2 to 2.5 liters of water a day may slow down cyst growth.

Around 2 to 2.5 liters of fluid intake is recommended for people with PKD. That should be throughout the day, not just in the morning and in the evening. Don't overdo it though, like drinking 10 liters, because there could be side effects of doing that.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Have High Blood Pressure or Diabetes? Watch Out for This
They may not get as much press as your heart or brain, but your kidneys do a lot of good work. A pair of bean-shaped, fist-sized organs found on eithe...
Why is eating fresh foods important if I need to reduce my salt intake?
Jonny BowdenJonny Bowden
Because processed/prepared foods are overwhelmingly the number one source of sodium in the diet. Sod...
How does postrenal acute renal failure affect the body?
Postrenal acute renal failure is caused when something interferes with the flow of urine from the ki...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?