Who should be screened for chronic kidney disease?

The kidneys filter toxins out of the body's blood, but many people don't know they also help regulate blood pressure in the body. High blood pressure and diabetes can alter or deteriorate the function of the kidneys, causing chronic kidney disease. Most cases of chronic kidney disease are not diagnosed, so people with high blood pressure and diabetes should ask their doctor about a screening for kidney damage.

Once a simple blood test or a urine test screens an individual who has these risk factors, he or she should seek management of the chronic kidney disease to try and decrease the advancement to total renal failure.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d be sure ...
What is kidney disease?
Kidney disease is a disorder that decreases the ability of your two kidneys to do their job: to clea...
Which herbal supplements should I avoid if I have kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
You should avoid all herbal supplements if you have kidney disease. Herbal supplements that are espe...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood