What supplements should I take if I have kidney disease?

If you have kidney disease and need supplements, your doctor will probably want you to take a group of vitamins called B complex as well as some vitamin C. A prescription for these may be necessary.

If you are taking medication to treat anemia, you may also need to take an iron pill or have injectable iron. You should only take iron if your doctor prescribes it for you.

If your blood phosphorus level is too high, you may need to take a medicine to keep your body from absorbing phosphorus from your food. Some of these medicines contain calcium. This can give you extra calcium if you need it.

You may also need to take some vitamin D. It can be given as a pill and can also be given during your dialysis treatment if you are receiving dialysis. You should only take vitamin D if your doctor prescribes it for you.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?