What happens if my test results show I may have chronic kidney disease?

If your test results show that you may have chronic kidney disease, your doctor will want to pinpoint your diagnosis and check your kidney function to help plan your treatment. The doctor may do the following:
  • Calculate your glomerular filtration rate (GFR), which is the best way to tell how much kidney function you have. You do not need to have another test to know your GFR. Your doctor can calculate it from your blood creatinine, your age, body size and gender. Your GFR tells your doctor your stage of kidney disease and helps the doctor plan your treatment.
  • Perform an ultrasound or CT scan to get a picture of your kidneys and urinary tract. This tells your doctor whether your kidneys are too large or small, whether you have a kidney stone or tumor and whether there are any problems in the structure of your kidneys.
  • Perform a kidney biopsy, which is done in some cases to check for a specific type of kidney disease, see how much kidney damage has occurred and help plan treatment. To do a biopsy, the doctor removes small pieces of kidney tissue and looks at them under a microscope.
Your doctor may also ask you to see a specialist who will consult on your case and help manage your care.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?