What happens if my test results show I may have chronic kidney disease?

If your test results show that you may have chronic kidney disease, your doctor will want to pinpoint your diagnosis and check your kidney function to help plan your treatment. The doctor may do the following:
  • Calculate your glomerular filtration rate (GFR), which is the best way to tell how much kidney function you have. You do not need to have another test to know your GFR. Your doctor can calculate it from your blood creatinine, your age, body size and gender. Your GFR tells your doctor your stage of kidney disease and helps the doctor plan your treatment.
  • Perform an ultrasound or CT scan to get a picture of your kidneys and urinary tract. This tells your doctor whether your kidneys are too large or small, whether you have a kidney stone or tumor and whether there are any problems in the structure of your kidneys.
  • Perform a kidney biopsy, which is done in some cases to check for a specific type of kidney disease, see how much kidney damage has occurred and help plan treatment. To do a biopsy, the doctor removes small pieces of kidney tissue and looks at them under a microscope.
Your doctor may also ask you to see a specialist who will consult on your case and help manage your care.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d b...
How many people have the gene for polycystic kidney disease (PKD)?
Anjay Rastogi, MDAnjay Rastogi, MD
Between 1 in 400 and 1 in 1,000 people have the gene for polycystic kidney disease (PKD). PKD is the...
What medication can I take for a high phosphorus level if I have CKD?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you have chronic kidney disease (CKD) and high phosphorous levels, your doctor may order a medici...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?