What medication can I take for a high phosphorus level if I have CKD?

If you have chronic kidney disease (CKD) and high phosphorous levels, your doctor may order a medicine called a phosphate binder for you to take with meals and snacks. 

This medicine will help control the amount of phosphorus your body absorbs from the foods you eat. There are many different kinds of phosphate binders. Pills, chewable tablets, and powders are available. Some types also contain calcium, while others do not. You should only take the phosphate binder that is ordered by your doctor or dietitian.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Have High Blood Pressure or Diabetes? Watch Out for This
They may not get as much press as your heart or brain, but your kidneys do a lot of good work. A pair of bean-shaped, fist-sized organs found on eithe...
How does postrenal acute renal failure affect the body?
Postrenal acute renal failure is caused when something interferes with the flow of urine from the ki...
What is a duplex kidney?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
A duplex kidney is known as a single kidney with two collecting systems.
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood