What medication can I take for a high phosphorus level if I have CKD?

If you have chronic kidney disease (CKD) and high phosphorous levels, your doctor may order a medicine called a phosphate binder for you to take with meals and snacks. 

This medicine will help control the amount of phosphorus your body absorbs from the foods you eat. There are many different kinds of phosphate binders. Pills, chewable tablets, and powders are available. Some types also contain calcium, while others do not. You should only take the phosphate binder that is ordered by your doctor or dietitian.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d be sure ...
Read More
What does phosphorous have to do with kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Phosphorous is important for bone development and muscle function. In people with kidney disease, it...
More Answers
Is kidney disease different in children than in adults?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
For the most part, kidney disease is the same for children as for adults, but there are some differe...
More Answers
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.