What is end-stage kidney disease?

End-stage kidney disease occurs when about 85-90% of kidney function has been lost. People with kidney failure may experience nausea, vomiting, weakness, fatigue, confusion, difficulty concentrating and loss of appetite. It can be diagnosed by blood and urine tests.
End stage kidney disease is when the kidneys are so damaged (by disease, drugs, or other causes) that they are no longer functioning or are having a minimal capacity to function. This requires people to be on dialysis and medications to perform the function of the kidney.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Have High Blood Pressure or Diabetes? Watch Out for This
They may not get as much press as your heart or brain, but your kidneys do a lot of good work. A pair of bean-shaped, fist-sized organs found on eithe...
Can kidney disease have any complications?
Kidney disease can cause many complications with the potential to damage many vital parts of your bo...
Why would I need to take supplements if I have kidney disease?
You need to take supplements if you have kidney disease because in kidney disease, you lose importan...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?