What are the risks of ureteroscopy?

Ureteroscopy carries a small risk of infection, bleeding or injury to the ureter (tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder). There also is a chance that the ureter is too small for the ureteroscope. In that case, a tiny device called a stent may be left in place for one or two weeks to keep the ureter open, and the procedure is performed at a later date.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Have High Blood Pressure or Diabetes? Watch Out for This
They may not get as much press as your heart or brain, but your kidneys do a lot of good work. A pair of bean-shaped, fist-sized organs found on eithe...
Why is eating fresh foods important if I need to reduce my salt intake?
Jonny BowdenJonny Bowden
Because processed/prepared foods are overwhelmingly the number one source of sodium in the diet. Sod...
What causes kidney disease?
The causes of kidney disease may vary from person to person and across the types of the condition, b...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?