What are the risks of ureteroscopy?

Ureteroscopy carries a small risk of infection, bleeding or injury to the ureter (tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder). There also is a chance that the ureter is too small for the ureteroscope. In that case, a tiny device called a stent may be left in place for one or two weeks to keep the ureter open, and the procedure is performed at a later date.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Have High Blood Pressure or Diabetes? Watch Out for This
They may not get as much press as your heart or brain, but your kidneys do a lot of good work. A pair of bean-shaped, fist-sized organs found on eithe...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have kidney disease?
The lifestyle changes you should make may depend on the type of kidney disease that you have, but do...
What increases my risk for kidney disease?
In addition to diabetes and high blood pressure, other conditions that increase the risk of kidney d...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood