How does kidney disease relate to acid-base metabolism disorder?

Kidney disease is a major cause of acid-base metabolism disorders. If the kidney cannot filter enough acid from the blood through the urine, metabolic acidosis can develop. If a person's kidney disease reaches a more advanced stage, various kinds of acid-base metabolism disorders can develop. At this stage, filtering the blood becomes very important in managing the acid-base balance of the blood.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d b...
What are some diet recommendations for chronic kidney disease (CKD)?
If you have chronic kidney disease it is important to limit how much salt (sodium) that you eat ever...
How can I control my phosphorus levels if I have CKD?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
When you have chronic kidney disease (CKD), your kidneys cannot remove phosphorus very well. High ph...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood