Is it safe to use herbal supplements if I have kidney disease?

It is not considered safe to use herbal supplements if you have kidney disease. Some herbal products can harm your kidneys and make your kidney disease worse. Also, your kidneys cannot clear waste products from herbal products that can build up in your body.

The herbal supplement market is a multi-million-dollar business. You may hear from friends or family members about an herbal supplement that they think has improved their health or well-being, and they may suggest it to you. While this advice may be fine for them, it can be dangerous for those with kidney disease.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d b...
How can I control my phosphorus levels if I have CKD?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
When you have chronic kidney disease (CKD), your kidneys cannot remove phosphorus very well. High ph...
What increases my risk for kidney disease?
In addition to diabetes and high blood pressure, other conditions that increase the risk of kidney d...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?