How many people have the gene for polycystic kidney disease (PKD)?

Anjay Rastogi, MD
Nephrology
Between 1 in 400 and 1 in 1,000 people have the gene for polycystic kidney disease (PKD). PKD is the most common inherited cause of kidney failure in the United States. It is a common reason why some people end up on dialysis and need a kidney transplant. PKD causes a significant financial burden on society.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d be sure ...
Which herbal supplements should I avoid if I have kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
You should avoid all herbal supplements if you have kidney disease. Herbal supplements that are espe...
What is hydronephrosis?
Grace Hyun, MDGrace Hyun, MD
Hydronephrosis refers to extra urinary fluid in the kidney. Not a separate disease, but a physic...
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood