How can I control my phosphorus levels if I have CKD?

When you have chronic kidney disease (CKD), your kidneys cannot remove phosphorus very well. High phosphorus levels can cause damage to your body.

You can keep your phosphorus level normal by following your diet and taking medications for phosphorus control. Your dietitian and doctor will help.

Dialysis can remove some phosphorus from your blood, but it is important to limit buildup of phosphorus between dialysis treatments.

A normal phosphorus level is 2.5 to 4.5 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL).

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

how can a low-sodium diet help me if i have kidney disease ?
Controlling salt (or sodium) in the diet is very important for patients with chronic kidney disease....
why would i need to take supplements if i have kidney disease ?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Your doctor will probably want you to take a variety of supplements if you have kidney disease. B...
which herbal supplements have potassium , which is bad for kidney disease ?
Potassium is a mineral that may need to be limited in the diet of people with kidney disease, especi...
how is kidney damage after an organ transplant treated ?
Treatment for kidney damage after an organ transplant usually involves treating the cause of the dam...