Why is early detection important for kidney disease?

Early detection is important for kidney disease because much of kidney disease treatment is about preserving kidney function, and you aren't likely to take steps to prevent kidney damage unless you know that your kidney isn't functioning properly. A diet low in protein, potassium, and sodium is usually recommended to decrease kidney damage, and so is controlling high blood pressure and diabetes. Kidney disease can be detected early with routine blood, urine, and blood pressure screenings. Especially if you are at risk for kidney disease, you should talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease

Don’t Let Hot Weather Kick in Kidney Stones
Death Valley gets less than two inches of rain a year and summer temperatures can soar to 120°F or higher. Chances are that’s one place you’d b...
How often should I have ultrasound if I have polycystic kidney disease?
Anjay Rastogi, MDAnjay Rastogi, MD
Doctors generally recommend that you should have an ultrasound once a year if you have polycystic ki...
How safe are NSAIDs for people with kidney disease?
NSAIDs, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, should generally be avoided by people with kidney d...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?