Why does it hurt when I urinate with a ureteral stent?

When you urinate with a ureteral stent, some discomfort, such as mild soreness or pressure (before urination as well) is normal. Certain movements may trigger pain or a feeling that you need to urinate. Additionally, your urine may be slightly pink or red. This is due to bleeding caused by minor irritation from the stent. This may happen on and off while you have the stent. These symptoms will go away a few days after the stent is removed.
If you have a ureteral stent, you can expect pain in your bladder, urethra, and kidney when you urinate. Why? The stent temporarily changes the way the bladder, ureter, and kidney work together.
  • Normally: The ureter has a one-way valve as it enters the bladder. When the bladder squeezes to empty as you urinate, the valve keeps the urine from flowing back into the ureter and kidney.
  • With a stent: The stent is a hollow tube that extends through your ureter and into the bladder, and temporarily keeps the one-way valve from closing. This means that when your bladder squeezes as you urinate, some of the urine flows back up the ureter and presses on the kidney. This causes pain while you urinate.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease and Urology

Worst Case Scenario: I Hold In My Pee
Worst Case Scenario: I Hold In My Pee
We've all been there: You know you've gotta go, but you're late to a meeting, or you're on a deadline and you really need to finish that project. Or m...
What causes malrotated kidney?
Jeffrey M. Saland, MDJeffrey M. Saland, MD
Before birth, the kidneys normally pass through a complex series of developmental steps when they ch...
How is urethritis treated?
Kyle K. Himsl, MDKyle K. Himsl, MD
Depending on the cause, urethritis may be treated with antibiotics or pain medications. Watch this v...
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?