What is a ureteral stent?

A ureteral stent is a small tube placed in the urinary tube after a kidney stone has passed to reduce swelling.

Ureteral stent placement is a surgery to place a soft flexible plastic tube called a stent in the ureter. The ureters are long tubes that allow urine to pass from the kidneys to the bladder. A ureteral stent keeps the ureter open if it is narrowed or blocked. It can also be used to continue urine flow if the ureter is damaged while a damaged ureter heals.

A ureteral stent is a device employed in the ureter that's used largely to unobstruct kidneys.

A ureteral stent is a tiny, hollow tube that runs from the kidney to the bladder and stays in place for several weeks after a kidney stone procedure. A stent helps you in three important ways:

• It holds your ureter open. Your ureter has some normal swelling after a kidney stone procedure. The stent keeps this swelling from blocking the ureter.
  • It prevents severe pain after a procedure. If your ureter is swollen shut, you can have severe stone-like pain for three to seven days. With a stent, urine flows freely and you don't experience this pain.
  • It can widen the ureter so small stone fragments pass more easily. A stent also causes its own temporary difficulties—ask your doctor what to expect.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease and Urology

Worst Case Scenario: I Hold In My Pee
Worst Case Scenario: I Hold In My Pee
We've all been there: You know you've gotta go, but you're late to a meeting, or you're on a deadline and you really need to finish that project. Or m...
What is the urinary tract?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
The main function of the urinary tract is to remove wastes and fluid from the body. The urinary trac...
What causes hematuria?
Dr. Jill RabinDr. Jill Rabin
Hematuria, or blood in the urine, almost always indicates an abnormality, unless atrophic vaginitis ...
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?