What test should be performed if I have blood in my urine?

Clearly visible and microscopic hematuria (blood in the urine) requires evaluation. The upper urinary tract should be imaged, and cystoscopy should be done if there is hematuria in the absence of infection. A comprehensive evaluation is necessary entailing of upper tract (kidneys and ureters) imaging, cystoscopy and urine cytology.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease and Urology

Worst Case Scenario: I Hold In My Pee
Worst Case Scenario: I Hold In My Pee
We've all been there: You know you've gotta go, but you're late to a meeting, or you're on a deadline and you really need to finish that project. Or m...
What causes hematuria?
Dr. Jill RabinDr. Jill Rabin
Hematuria, or blood in the urine, almost always indicates an abnormality, unless atrophic vaginitis ...
What is the urinary tract?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
The main function of the urinary tract is to remove wastes and fluid from the body. The urinary trac...
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?