What causes hematuria?

Dr. Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Hematuria, or blood in the urine, almost always indicates an abnormality, unless atrophic vaginitis and cystitis (thinning of the vaginal and bladder tissues due to a lack of estrogen) is the culprit, or unless menstrual blood happens to accidentally get into the urine. Hematuria is generally caused by a bladder infection and is easily cured with the proper dosage of antibiotics.

Blood in the urine, however, may also indicate more severe problems, such as bladder cancer or kidney cancer. If you suspect blood in your urine, see a doctor immediately.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease and Urology

3 Embarrassing Bladder Problems and How to Plug the Leaks
At times, your bladder may not to do what it’s supposed to do (hold onto urine until you’re ready to relieve yourself), leading to anxiety-ridden acci...
What can I do to prevent kidney damage from diabetes from getting worse?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you have diabetes, it may be possible to prevent or delay the progression of kidney disease. It i...
What causes malrotated kidney?
Jeffrey M. Saland, MDJeffrey M. Saland, MD
Before birth, the kidneys normally pass through a complex series of developmental steps when they ch...
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?