What causes hematuria?

Dr. Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Hematuria, or blood in the urine, almost always indicates an abnormality, unless atrophic vaginitis and cystitis (thinning of the vaginal and bladder tissues due to a lack of estrogen) is the culprit, or unless menstrual blood happens to accidentally get into the urine. Hematuria is generally caused by a bladder infection and is easily cured with the proper dosage of antibiotics.

Blood in the urine, however, may also indicate more severe problems, such as bladder cancer or kidney cancer. If you suspect blood in your urine, see a doctor immediately.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease and Urology

Worst Case Scenario: I Hold In My Pee
Worst Case Scenario: I Hold In My Pee
We've all been there: You know you've gotta go, but you're late to a meeting, or you're on a deadline and you really need to finish that project. Or m...
What test should be performed if I have blood in my urine?
Maria FelipeMaria Felipe
Clearly visible and microscopic hematuria (blood in the urine) requires evaluation. The upper urinar...
What is cystitis?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Cystitis is inflammation of the bladder. The causes of cystitis include urinary tract infection.
What Nighttime Bathroom Trips May Mean
What Nighttime Bathroom Trips May Mean