What causes hematuria?

Dr. Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Hematuria, or blood in the urine, almost always indicates an abnormality, unless atrophic vaginitis and cystitis (thinning of the vaginal and bladder tissues due to a lack of estrogen) is the culprit, or unless menstrual blood happens to accidentally get into the urine. Hematuria is generally caused by a bladder infection and is easily cured with the proper dosage of antibiotics.

Blood in the urine, however, may also indicate more severe problems, such as bladder cancer or kidney cancer. If you suspect blood in your urine, see a doctor immediately.

Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease and Urology

What Your Urine Says About Your Health
What Your Urine Says About Your Health
Clear as urine. That’s not the expression, but perhaps it should be, at least when urine is healthy. Perfectly normal urine tends to be a pale, straw ...
What pelvic floor disorders can affect women?
May M. Wakamatsu, MDMay M. Wakamatsu, MD
An estimated 40% of women who give birth vaginally go on to develop one or more of the problems ...
What test should be performed if I have blood in my urine?
Maria FelipeMaria Felipe
Clearly visible and microscopic hematuria (blood in the urine) requires evaluation. The upper urinar...
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?
Are Cysts on the Kidneys Serious?