When should I call my doctor if I have chronic kidney disease?

If you have chronic kidney disease you should call your doctor if your symptoms worsen, you develop new symptoms or experience complications from your disease.

You should also call your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms of chronic kidney disease but have not yet been diagnosed, or the underlying cause of your chronic kidney disease has not yet been determined. Chronic kidney disease means that your kidneys are damaged and cannot filter blood normally, which can cause waste to build up in your body. Early diagnosis can help prevent chronic kidney disease from progressing to kidney failure. Symptoms of chronic kidney disease may include:
  • fatigue
  • difficulty concentrating
  • poor appetite
  • trouble sleeping
  • muscle cramping at night
  • swollen feet and ankles
  • puffiness around your eyes, especially in the morning
  • dry, itchy skin
  • frequent urination, especially at night
You should also talk to your doctor about lifestyle changes -- such as quitting smoking or lowering the salt in your diet -- that can help you manage your chronic kidney disease. You may need to talk to your doctor about referrals to other experts -- such as a dietician, a nephrologist, or heart disease expert -- who might be able to help you manage your kidney disease. Your doctor may also be able to refer you to a kidney disease support group in your area.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Treatments

Is there a cure for kidney disease?
Since there are so many kinds of kidney disease, whether or not kidney disease can be cured will dep...
What are the types of nephrectomy?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Nephrectomy is the surgical removal of a kidney. The procedure is done to treat kidney cancer as wel...
Is there a cure for polycystic kidney disease?
Currently, there is no cure for polycystic kidney disease. However, there are medications that help ...
What are the treatment and prevention measures for kidney disease?
The treatment options for kidney disease will depend on the severity and the type of the kidney dise...