What are the treatment options for postrenal acute renal failure?

Treatment options for postrenal acute renal failure may vary depending on the cause of the condition. In instances where the cause of kidney failure is something that can be treated or removed, such as bladder obstruction or kidney stones, it's important to treat that condition first. Once any underlying cause or obstruction has been treated, the kidneys may be able to heal themselves. To promote kidney healing, it's important to replace fluids and minerals that may have been lost. It's also important to maintain a balanced diet that's high in carbohydrates and low in potassium. If levels of certain minerals are too high, doctors may recommend calcium salts or sodium polystyrene sulfonate to be taken, usually by mouth. Doctors may also put you on short-term dialysis, which involves pumping your blood through a machine that filters the blood and removes waste.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Treatments

When should I call my doctor if I have chronic kidney disease?
If you have chronic kidney disease you should call your doctor if your symptoms worsen, you develop ...
Is there a cure for kidney disease?
Since there are so many kinds of kidney disease, whether or not kidney disease can be cured will dep...
How is hydronephrosis treated in babies during pregnancy?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If your baby has hydronephrosis, your obstetrician will monitor your pregnancy more closely. More fr...
How do I manage my postrenal acute renal failure on a daily basis?
Postrenal acute renal failure can be a serious condition, but it generally is a temporary issue. It'...