Why is a low-protein diet necessary for some patients with kidney disease?

Protein is needed for growth, upkeep and repair of all parts of your body. Protein comes from the food you eat. When your body digests it, a waste product called urea is produced. If the kidneys are not working well, urea can build up in the bloodstream and may cause loss of appetite and fatigue. In late stage kidney disease, it's important to limit dietary protein to reduce the workload of the kidneys. There are two main sources of protein, and you will need some of each type of protein each day:
  • Animal products (fish, poultry, eggs, meat and dairy products) are considered high-quality protein. You may need to limit dairy products because they are high in phosphorus; which can cause your blood phosphorus level to be too high.
  • Vegetable products (breads, cereals, rice, pasta and dried beans) are considered low-quality protein.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Treatments

How does dialysis treat kidney disease?
Dialysis is an effective treatment for advanced kidney disease that fulfills the function of failing...
What influences the success of chronic kidney disease (CKD) treatment?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Early detection and treatment can often slow or stop chronic kidney disease (CKD) from progressing t...
How can I control my homocysteine level if I have kidney problems?
If your kidneys are not working properly, you should not only take folic acid supplements but also e...
What are the types of nephrectomy?
Nephrectomy is the surgical removal of a kidney. The procedure is done to treat kidney cancer as wel...