What is uremia?

Uremia is an illness associated with the buildup of urea in the blood when kidneys are not working effectively. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, weakness, and mental confusion. Urea is a waste product found in the blood that results from the normal breakdown of protein in the liver. It is normally removed from the blood by the kidneys and leaves the body in the urine.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Symptoms

How do I tell if I have kidney disease?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You may be able to tell if you have chronic kidney disease if fluid is building up in your body. Thi...
What symptoms might I have when kidney disease progresses?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
As kidney disease progresses, waste products remain in the blood, so you may experience fluid re...
What imaging tests are done to measure kidney function?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Together with other tests, imaging tests show how well the kidneys are doing their job of removing w...
What can cause horizontal stripes on my fingernails?
If you notice white horizontal stripes on your unpainted nails, it could indicate kidney disease...