What is uremia?

Uremia is an illness associated with the buildup of urea in the blood when kidneys are not working effectively. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, weakness, and mental confusion. Urea is a waste product found in the blood that results from the normal breakdown of protein in the liver. It is normally removed from the blood by the kidneys and leaves the body in the urine.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Symptoms

What can cause horizontal stripes on my fingernails?
If you notice white horizontal stripes on your unpainted nails, it could indicate kidney disease...
What is albuminuria?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Albumin is a protein. Albuminuria is having too much protein in the urine. This is sometimes referre...
What symptoms might I have when kidney disease progresses?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
As kidney disease progresses, waste products remain in the blood, so you may experience fluid re...
What are the early symptoms of kidney disease?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Kidney disease is usually silent in the early stages, and the physical symptoms of kidney diseas...