What is albuminuria?

Albumin is a protein. Albuminuria is having too much protein in the urine. This is sometimes referred to as microalbuminuria, which indicates a slightly high level of protein in the urine (i.e. excretion of 30 to 300 mg of albumin per 24 hours). Overt proteinuria, or macroalbuminuria, indicates more than 300mg of albumin in the urine per day. Persistent albuminuria means that the kidneys have been damaged and are starting to spill some albumin into the urine.
Albumin is a protein that can be found in the urine. Albuminuria means you have too much of this protein in your urine. Increasing levels of albumin in the urine may be a sign of kidney damage.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Symptoms

What urine tests are done to measure kidney function?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Some urine tests to measure kidney function require only a couple of tablespoonfuls of urine, while ...
How do I tell if I have kidney disease?
Unfortunately, kidney disease often has no symptoms. When they do show, they include weakness, diffi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my kidney disease symptoms?
If you are experiencing symptoms of kidney disease, you should talk to your doctor as soon as you ca...
What is a sign that shows that the kidneys are not working well?
MediGuardMediGuard
Metformin is excreted primarily through your kidneys. When your kidneys are not working well, metfor...