What are the symptoms of kidney disease?

Kidney disease symptoms usually don't appear until the disease has progressed. When children have kidney disease, symptoms may include slow growth, vomiting, back pain, side pain and high blood pressure.

Doctors often notice kidney problems in regular check-ups. Low red blood cell count, proteinuria (abnormal protein amounts in urine) or hematuria (blood in the urine) are symptoms of kidney disease in adults and children. Blood and urine tests can help diagnose kidney disease before symptoms that indicate serious help problems begin to appear.

Some symptoms that may appear at later stages of kidney disease include a change in urination frequency, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea or vomiting, itchy or numb sensations, swelling hands and feet, difficulty concentrating, muscle cramps and skin darkening.

Leg swelling, high blood pressure and protein in the urine are a few symptoms of kidney disaese.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Symptoms

Should I talk to my doctor about my kidney disease symptoms?
If you are experiencing symptoms of kidney disease, you should talk to your doctor as soon as you ca...
How do I tell if I have kidney disease?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You may be able to tell if you have chronic kidney disease if fluid is building up in your body. Thi...
What imaging tests are done to measure kidney function?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Together with other tests, imaging tests show how well the kidneys are doing their job of removing w...
What is a sign that shows that the kidneys are not working well?
MediGuardMediGuard
Metformin is excreted primarily through your kidneys. When your kidneys are not working well, metfor...