What is a sign that shows that the kidneys are not working well?

Metformin is excreted primarily through your kidneys. When your kidneys are not working well, metformin can build up in your body and cause a condition called lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis is a build up of acid in the body which can be life threatening. The drug package insert contains a \black box\" warning that states it should not be used by patients with renal dysfunction (kidney disease) and those who are taking medications for congestive heart failure (CHF).  Metformin is safe in most patients and works well in those with type 2 diabetes that are not well controlled by diet and exercise. For patients who have normal kidney and heart function.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Symptoms

Should I talk to my doctor about my postrenal acute renal failure symptoms?
If you're experiencing symptoms that you think may be caused by postrenal acute renal failure, you s...
Should I see my doctor if my eyes are often puffy?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If your eyes are consistently swollen, especially in the morning, take note. This has been linked wi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my kidney disease symptoms?
If you are experiencing symptoms of kidney disease, you should talk to your doctor as soon as you ca...
How common is kidney disease in adults?
Kidney disease is common in the United States. Chronic kidney disease is more common than acute kidn...