What is a sign that shows that the kidneys are not working well?

Metformin is excreted primarily through your kidneys. When your kidneys are not working well, metformin can build up in your body and cause a condition called lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis is a build up of acid in the body which can be life threatening. The drug package insert contains a \black box\" warning that states it should not be used by patients with renal dysfunction (kidney disease) and those who are taking medications for congestive heart failure (CHF).  Metformin is safe in most patients and works well in those with type 2 diabetes that are not well controlled by diet and exercise. For patients who have normal kidney and heart function.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Symptoms

What urine tests are done to measure kidney function?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Some urine tests to measure kidney function require only a couple of tablespoonfuls of urine, while ...
What symptoms might I have when kidney disease progresses?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
As kidney disease progresses, waste products remain in the blood, so you may experience fluid re...
What is uremia?
Uremia is an illness associated with the buildup of urea in the blood when kidneys are not worki...
Should I talk to my doctor about my kidney disease symptoms?
If you are experiencing symptoms of kidney disease, you should talk to your doctor as soon as you ca...