How do I tell if I have kidney disease?

You may be able to tell if you have chronic kidney disease if fluid is building up in your body. This causes high blood pressure, which in turn can damage your kidneys and heart. Your kidneys might also not produce all the hormones they should. Less hormones mean less red blood cells, which can make you feel very tired. Low hormone levels may lead to weak bones.

Unfortunately, kidney disease often has no symptoms. When they do show, they include weakness, difficulty with urination, foamy urine, dark urine and puffiness around the face and eyes. Learn more in this video from the National Kidney Foundation.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Symptoms

How common is kidney disease in adults?
Kidney disease is the eighth leading cause of death in the United States, responsible for the death ...
What is albuminuria?
Albumin is a protein that can be found in the urine. Albuminuria means you have too much of this pro...
What urine tests are done to measure kidney function?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Some urine tests to measure kidney function require only a couple of tablespoonfuls of urine, while ...
What are the symptoms of kidney disease?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Kidney disease symptoms usually don't appear until the disease has progressed. When children have ki...