How do I tell if I have kidney disease?

You may be able to tell if you have chronic kidney disease if fluid is building up in your body. This causes high blood pressure, which in turn can damage your kidneys and heart. Your kidneys might also not produce all the hormones they should. Less hormones mean less red blood cells, which can make you feel very tired. Low hormone levels may lead to weak bones.

Unfortunately, kidney disease often has no symptoms. When they do show, they include weakness, difficulty with urination, foamy urine, dark urine and puffiness around the face and eyes. Learn more in this video from the National Kidney Foundation.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Symptoms

What are the early symptoms of kidney disease?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Kidney disease is usually silent in the early stages, and the physical symptoms of kidney diseas...
What imaging tests are done to measure kidney function?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Together with other tests, imaging tests show how well the kidneys are doing their job of removing w...
What is uremia?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Uremia is an illness associated with the buildup of urea in the blood when kidneys are not worki...
How common is kidney disease in adults?
Kidney disease is the eighth leading cause of death in the United States, responsible for the death ...