How common is kidney disease in adults?

Kidney disease is the eighth leading cause of death in the United States, responsible for the death of more than 50,000 people in 2010. More than 20 million (greater than 10%) of U.S. adults have chronic kidney disease and most of them are not aware of their condition.

Kidney disease is common in the United States. Chronic kidney disease is more common than acute kidney disease. More than 1 in 10 Americans 20 and older are estimated to have chronic kidney disease, which is about 26 million adults in the United States. This number may be even higher because many cases are undiagnosed. Even among the estimated 26 million people, a majority of them are unaware that they have the disease. Kidney disease is the ninth leading cause of death in the United States.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Symptoms

What are the symptoms of postrenal acute renal failure?
Since postrenal acute renal failure is usually the result of another condition, symptoms may vary ac...
Should I talk to my doctor about my postrenal acute renal failure symptoms?
If you're experiencing symptoms that you think may be caused by postrenal acute renal failure, you s...
What is a sign that shows that the kidneys are not working well?
MediGuardMediGuard
Metformin is excreted primarily through your kidneys. When your kidneys are not working well, metfor...
What is albuminuria?
Albumin is a protein that can be found in the urine. Albuminuria means you have too much of this pro...