How common is kidney disease in adults?

Kidney disease is the eighth leading cause of death in the United States, responsible for the death of more than 50,000 people in 2010. More than 20 million (greater than 10%) of U.S. adults have chronic kidney disease and most of them are not aware of their condition.

Kidney disease is common in the United States. Chronic kidney disease is more common than acute kidney disease. More than 1 in 10 Americans 20 and older are estimated to have chronic kidney disease, which is about 26 million adults in the United States. This number may be even higher because many cases are undiagnosed. Even among the estimated 26 million people, a majority of them are unaware that they have the disease. Kidney disease is the ninth leading cause of death in the United States.

Continue Learning about Kidney Disease Symptoms

What symptoms might I have when kidney disease progresses?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
As kidney disease progresses, waste products remain in the blood, so you may experience fluid re...
Should I talk to my doctor about my kidney disease symptoms?
If you are experiencing symptoms of kidney disease, you should talk to your doctor as soon as you ca...
What is a sign that shows that the kidneys are not working well?
MediGuardMediGuard
Metformin is excreted primarily through your kidneys. When your kidneys are not working well, metfor...
Should I talk to my doctor about my postrenal acute renal failure symptoms?
If you're experiencing symptoms that you think may be caused by postrenal acute renal failure, you s...