Will my kidney have to be removed if I have kidney cancer?

Whether or not your kidney will have to be removed depends on the stage of your kidney cancer. Surgery is the most common treatment for kidney cancer, but it may be possible to remove only part of the kidney. If the tumor is small and kidney cancer hasn't advanced too far, doctors may simply remove the tumor and some of the surrounding kidney tissue. If the tumor is larger, it may be necessary to remove the entire kidney in a procedure called a nephrectomy. During this kind of surgery, doctors will remove the whole kidney and occasionally the adrenal gland and other surrounding tissue, including lymph nodes. Talk to your doctor about concerns you may have regarding surgery.

Continue Learning about Kidney Cancer Treatment

Can my kidney cancer be treated laparoscopically?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
In fact, 90% of kidney cancers today can be treated using laparoscopy or other minimally invasive te...
How is surgery used to treat kidney cancer?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Surgery is the most common treatment for kidney cancer. The type of surgery used depends on the loca...
What are treatments for metastatic kidney cancer?
Michael A. Palese, MDMichael A. Palese, MD
The treatment of metastatic kidney cancer, cancer that has spread from the kidney to other parts of ...
What are the side effects of kidney cancer treatment?
Side effects of kidney cancer treatment may vary according to what treatment you receive. Before you...