Is fruit juice healthy?

Margaret Floyd
When commercial fruit juice is made, manufacturers squeeze out and retain the water, sugar, and nutrients, leaving behind most of the fiber. Then they pasteurize the juice, heating it temporarily to destroy any possible pathogens. Unfortunately, delicate nutrients are also damaged in the process, significantly reducing nutritional value.

To make that one glass of juice, you need to squeeze anywhere from three to eight oranges, depending on the size and juiciness of the oranges. That's a whole lot of sugar to ingest without the fiber necessary to slow down its absorption into your body.

Essentially, you're getting a nutritionally depleted, high-sugar drink. If you really want to drink juice, my recommendation is to juice it yourself. Drink the homemade juice immediately so it doesn't have a chance to spoil and to get maximum nutritional benefit from it.
Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You

Eat Naked with Margaret Floyd for a Sexier You Are you fed up with counting calories? Confused by all the diet hype? Want to eat delicious, real food and look and feel great? Leading...

Continue Learning about Juices

The Skinny on Juice-Bar Smoothies
The Skinny on Juice-Bar Smoothies
As the summer heat begins to settle in, more and more of us are passing up our favorite coffee-shop concoctions for frosty, fruity treats from the loc...
Sip This for a Stronger Immune System
Sip This for a Stronger Immune System
Orange juice isn't the only beverage you can grab when you want to help your immune system fight off illness and infection. New research suggests tha...
What should I know before I start drinking beet juice regularly?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Before you start drinking beet juice regularly, be mindful that the beets could turn your urine and ...
What are the health benefits of green juice products?
Eva B. Cwynar, MDEva B. Cwynar, MD
The most common substances found in green juice products are blue-green algae, wheat grass, barl...