How can drinking orange juice help my arteries?

Whether beside oatmeal or eggs, this breakfast favorite is sure to help keep your arteries squeaky clean: orange juice.

In a study of men, those with a high intake of vitamin C -- as well as berries and other fresh fruit -- experienced significantly less thickening of their carotid arteries compared with the low fruit-and-C group.

Clear arteries. They're super important because gunk-free can often mean problem-free. But carotid-artery thickness is important, too. It's a direct measure of atherosclerosis -- the hardening and narrowing of arteries that can lead to heart disease, heart attack, or stroke. To keep your arteries wide open and pliable for years to come, you need foods rich in both vitamin C and other pipe-friendly antioxidants.

Similar studies have found that vitamin C may help protect your cardiovascular system in numerous other ways as well, from improving the functioning of the cells lining your arteries; to thinning your blood, thereby reducing the risk of clots; to quelling bad-for-your-heart inflammation. 

Continue Learning about Juices

The Skinny on Juice-Bar Smoothies
The Skinny on Juice-Bar Smoothies
As the summer heat begins to settle in, more and more of us are passing up our favorite coffee-shop concoctions for frosty, fruity treats from the loc...
Drink This Juice for Better Energy
Drink This Juice for Better Energy
For easier workouts that leave you with energy to spare, pour yourself a glass of this popular breakfast beverage: orange juice. In a small study, re...
Can drinking cherry juice help me sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Researchers looked at the sleep habits of 15 older adults who drank 8 ounces of tart cherry juice in...
Is it healthy to drink only juice for a month?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
I do not recommend drinking only juice for a month. Juice fasting for a week or so is a good way to ...