How is ParaGard inserted and removed?

A doctor can insert or remove ParaGard (T 380A Intrauterine Copper Contraceptive) from your uterus during an office visit. After examining you carefully, he or she will slide a plastic tube containing the IUD (intrauterine device) through your vagina, past your cervix and into your uterus; you may feel cramping or pinching. When the doctor pulls the tube out, ParaGard remains behind, positioned in your uterus. When the procedure is over, you may feel faint, dizzy or nauseous for a few minutes. ParaGard has two threads that trail down from your uterus into your vagina. They should be just long enough to feel with your fingers. Check for them about once a month. If you can't feel them or if you feel a part of the IUD other than the threads, the IUD may have shifted position or been expelled. Call your doctor. ParaGard can safely remain inside your body for ten years. Usually, a health professional can remove it during a simple office visit, using the threads to help dislodge it.

Continue Learning about IUD (Intrauterine Device)

When should I have my IUD removed if I want to get pregnant?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
Once an IUD is removed, it's an "instant return to fertility" and makes this form of birth control s...
Are copper IUDs an effective form of birth control?
Heidi FantasiaHeidi Fantasia
Yes! Copper IUDs are more than 99% effective.Although no form of birth control is 100% effective (ot...
What Is an Intrauterine Device (IUD)?
What Is an Intrauterine Device (IUD)?
Who Is a Good Candidate for an Intrauterine Device (IUD)?