How can I minimize the side effects of ParaGard?

If you find that painful menstrual cramps are a side effect of using ParaGard (T 380A Intrauterine Copper Contraceptive), taking pain medication may minimize the problem. The most effective nonprescription treatments are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve). These drugs contain chemicals that work against the uterine contractions that cause the pain. If you can't take these drugs or they aren't working, talk to your doctor about prescription options.

Continue Learning about IUD (Intrauterine Device)

When should I have my IUD removed if I want to get pregnant?
St. Mark's HospitalSt. Mark's Hospital
Once an IUD is removed, it's an "instant return to fertility" and makes this form of birth control s...
Who is a good candidate for an intrauterine device (IUD)?
Dr. Evelyn Minaya, MDDr. Evelyn Minaya, MD
A good candidate for an intrauterine device (IUD) is someone who is willing to put one in; if it's a...
What Are the Possible Risks of Using an Intrauterine Device (IUD)?
Who Is a Good Candidate for an Intrauterine Device (IUD)?