An individual can develop new health problems after experiencing an ischemic stroke (cerebral infarction). Depression is common complication after a stroke as individuals try to cope with the change and loss in their lives. Individuals with difficulty swallowing may become malnourished or accidentally aspirate food, saliva, or vomit causing a type of pneumonia. Lying in bed can cause pressure sores and loss of muscle due to inactivity, and those that are unable to move their legs can develop blood clots that can cause more damage.
- Q What happens during an ischemic stroke?
- Q Why is an ischemic stroke sometimes called a brain attack?
- Q What complications may result from an ischemic stroke?
- Q How does an ischemic stroke affect the body?
- Q How do other illnesses affect an ischemic stroke?
- Q What is an embolic stroke?