Why is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) underdiagnosed?

Many people who have symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) don’t discuss the problem with healthcare professionals and therefore remain undiagnosed. Only an estimated 5% to 7% of those with IBS receive a diagnosis.

For those who do seek help, doctors may tell them that their symptoms are stress-related or psychological—“It’s all in your head.” It takes an average of 6.6 years to get an IBS diagnosis, according to the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is often underdiagnosed because many other diagnoses must be considered and proven to not be the true diagnosis in order to diagnose IBS. Also, IBS symptoms can mimic other disorders and it can be challenging to figure out if a person's symptoms are related to IBS or some other underlying cause.

Continue Learning about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

Can Probiotics Treat IBS and Depression?
LeBron James recalled, “Warren Buffet told me to always follow your gut… when you have that gut feeling, you have to go with it.” But, if you’re bugge...
How can chronic stress affect irritable bowel syndrome?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
Stress is known to stimulate colon spasms in people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The process...
What's going on in the colon of someone who has IBS?
The colon, or large intestine, is about five feet long. Muscle movements of the colon move its conte...
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?