What is the difference between irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and IBD?

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) differs in many important ways from inflammatory bowel disease. When speaking of IBD, the two primary diseases are Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis (UC). Irritable bowel syndrome is defined as abdominal discomfort or pain associated with altered bowel habits for at least three days per month in the previous three months, with the absence of organic disease. UC and Crohn's disease are both considered organic diseases. IBS is a diagnosis made by your doctor, and there are no specific findings that make the diagnosis. Whereas, with the IBD's, the diagnosis can be made with a biopsy of the gastrointestinal tract.

Continue Learning about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

The Gut-Friendly Diet You Need to Try
The Gut-Friendly Diet You Need to Try
Do you ever get that bloated feeling after eating certain foods? Pain in the belly? Diarrhea, constipation or both? Then you may have irritable bowel ...
How Is Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treated?
Get the Scoop on Poop for Constipation Relief
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?