What is alternating irritable bowel syndrome (A-IBS)?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
Alternating irritable bowel syndrome (A-IBS) is the most common IBS symptom pattern, which is present in about 50 percent of cases. The bowel pattern is irregular and alternates between diarrhea and constipation. For example, there may be no bowel movements for several days and then diarrhea throughout a day. Stool character and consistency may be very erratic: thin pencillike and ribbon-like stool may occur intermittently as spasm in the sigmoid colon narrows and molds the stool diameter. This can also cause the stool to look like the pellets that rabbits pass -- what doctors call "scybalous" stools.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the MindBodySpirit Connection: 7 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functional Bowel Disorder, Crohn's Disease, or Colitis (Mind-Body-Spirit Connection Series.)

Fast Facts on IBS: One in five people suffers from the frustrating symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). There is no simple answer--no pill, potion, or quick fix--that will cure IBS. But help...

Continue Learning about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

What You Need to Know About IBS
What You Need to Know About IBS
Not to be confused with inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic condition that affects the large intestine. IBS is cha...
How can chronic stress affect irritable bowel syndrome?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
Stress is known to stimulate colon spasms in people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). The process...
What age do people typically get irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
Irritable bowel syndrome typically begins in people when they are in their teens and 20s. Onset in l...
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?