What do I do if I have no IBS symptoms after a low-FODMAP challenge?

Patsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides And Polyols. Specifically, some of the dietary carbohydrates described by the term FODMAPS are lactose, fructose, fructans, polyols and galactans. These are sugars, starches and fibers in food that some people cannot fully digest and absorb.

If you haven't learned what you need to know after a cautious trial of the FODMAPS challenge group, which involves challenging yourself with each class of FODMAPS carbohydrates, give yourself a bigger challenge. Do not be tentative about it. You are trying to provoke symptoms. Eat the largest portions from the test group that might be typical for you. For example, if you are testing fructans (found in wheat and some fruits and vegetables), go ahead and eat a large bagel for breakfast along with a large greenish banana. Have pizza (no cheese yet) with onions and artichoke hearts on it for lunch. For dinner, how about a nice big plate of pasta with several cloves of baked garlic and sautéed zucchini on the side? In this example, you could continue with the fructans challenge for several days to a week, but you can stop sooner if you are clearly experiencing painful or uncomfortable symptoms.
IBS: Free at Last! Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet, 2nd Edition

IBS should not make you skip a beat—get your groove back! Tired of missing the fun because of your irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Confused about what to eat? Think you’re the only one who feels...

Continue Learning about Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatment

How is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) treated?
Irritable bowel syndrome treatments vary from patient to patient. Treatments can include changes in ...
What should I know about anti-diarrheal medications for IBS?
If your irritable bowel syndrome is causing diarrhea, you may consider taking an over-the-counter an...
What Natural Remedies Can Help Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?
Is It Safe to Take Over-The-Counter Meds to Treat the Symptoms of IBS?