What kind of doctor should I see for my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms?

Patsy Catsos
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian, or contact one on your own. Dietitians are food and nutrition experts and can help with food-related medical problems like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). A dietitian will review your medical history and food preferences with you, and help you develop a meal plan to reduce your IBS symptoms.

If it has been a while since you looked into the food-IBS connection, I encourage you to to try again. "High fiber" and "no red meat" diets for everyone with IBS are old school. When possible, patients are now working with dietitians to discover and avoid their personal food triggers for IBS symptoms.

Tracy Konoske
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a BIG challenge for doctors. Stress reduction and anti-diuretics are often their own answers although everyone seems to think that food plays a role, figuring it out can be a big job. IBS has been clinically shown to have roots in delayed food allergies or sensitivities. (Technically, allergies are the immediate reaction; sensitivities are still immune mediated but are delayed not immediate.) Either or both can play a role. Food sensitivities are delayed, and dose dependent. Eating something once in a small amount may have no effect; eating it again that day may have large consequences. I have had tremendous success using food sensitivity testing to identify food triggers for IBS. It works and it is changing people's lives.

Continue Learning about Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms

Are my symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) all in my head?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Unfortunately, terms like "functional," "psychosomatic" and "somatization" are often misconstrue...
Can diarrhea in the morning be a symptom of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
A common symptom pattern of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is the occurrence of diarrhea and/or stoo...
Can Psychotherapy and Antidepressants Help Ease IBS Symptoms?
Learn How to Manage IBS-C Symptoms
Learn How to Manage IBS-C Symptoms