Is It Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Stomach cramps, gas, bloating and a constant see-saw between constipation and sudden attacks of diarrhea. Sound familiar? That's the constellation of symptoms that people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) struggle with every day. What's worse, though, is the suddenness of IBS attacks, which leave IBS sufferers constantly on alert for the nearest bathroom.Read more
Solving the Mystery of IBSLearn More
AskMDFind out what may be causing your diarrhea
10 to 20%
The percentage of Americans who have IBS
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Q&As
Lawrence Friedman, MD
What tests can diagnose the cause of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
If diagnostic testing is necessary to rule out causes of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms, it may include a complete blood count, thyroid tests, and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). The ESR, which measures . . .
- Q What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
- Q What age do people typically get irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
- Q What is the difference between irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and IBD?
- Q What is alternating irritable bowel syndrome (A-IBS)?
- Q Why is irritable bowel syndrome a puzzling syndrome?
- Q What is Viberzi?
- Q Where can I find information about irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
- Q How do functional symptoms relate to the mind-body connection in IBS?
- Q What are common misconceptions about irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
- Q How common is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
Recent Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Articles
If you struggle with irritable bowel syndrome, ease your symptoms with our Action Plans.
What You Need To Know About IBS What are IBS and Chronic Constipation? Why Your Colon Loves Winter Fortify Your GI Tract with This Midnight Munchie See All Articles