How should I use iodine?

To use iodine as a topical disinfectant, apply it externally. Do not swallow iodine. Follow the manufacturer's instructions, which will tell you how much to apply and how often. Use iodine as directed because different preparations may contain varying concentrations of iodine and other ingredients. Iodine preparations come in the form of liquid tinctures, ointments, gels and pre-moistened dressings and swabs. Choose the type of preparation that suits your particular need. For example, you might want a gel that you can apply easily to a large scrape, or you might want a liquid tincture that you can pour over a small cut.

Continue Learning about Iodine

How is iodine used as a disinfectant?
In its over-the-counter form, iodine is used in a tincture, ointment or gel to disinfect the ski...
Who should use iodine?
Unless you are allergic to iodine, povidone or any other ingredients in over-the-counter (OTC) tinct...
Should I let my doctor know I am using iodine?
Topical iodine antiseptics are generally safe to use to prevent or treat infection of minor cuts or ...
What Are the Health Benefits of Iodine?
What Are the Health Benefits of Iodine?