How does intracranial hemorrhage affect the body?

Intracranial hemorrhage occurs when one or more blood vessels in the brain break, and blood pools between the brain and the bone of the skull. This causes swelling, and pressure builds up in the affected area. Because the pressure cannot be released through the bone, it pushes on the brain, causing damage.

Symptoms usually present rapidly, but are sometimes delayed. The area of the brain where the injury occurred determines what type of damage is sustained. Individuals may experience lingering impairments; delayed reaction times; or loss of memory, sometimes even forgetting their injury. Severe cases may result in death. Most of the recovery from the damage to the brain will occur within the first half year following the intracranial hemorrhage, but smaller improvements may continue for a couple years.

Continue Learning about Intracranial Hemorrhage

What is an intracranial hemorrhage?
Intracranial hemorrhage is bleeding inside the skull, either in the brain itself or in the space sep...
What are subdural and epidural hemorrhage?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Subdural and epidural hemorrhage are types of intracranial hemorrhage that result when blood leakage...
Should I talk to my doctor about my intracranial hemorrhage symptoms?
Intracranial hemorrhage is a serious condition that can be fatal. Emergency medical treatment is usu...
What are the symptoms of intracranial hemorrhage?
NorthShore University HealthSystemNorthShore University HealthSystem
Intracranial hemorrhage is bleeding inside the skull that usually results from a severe injury to th...