What is intracerebral hemorrhage?

Intracerebral hemorrhage is a type of stroke that results from bleeding inside the brain. This type of stroke accounts for 10% of all strokes, and results in a higher rate of death than other types. It is a medical emergency and requires quick treatment. Long-term high blood pressure is the most common cause of intracerebral hemorrhage.

When bleeding happens in the interior of the brain, it is known as intracerebral hemorrhage. There are two types of intracerebral hemorrhage:
  • Deep hypertensive hemorrhage. This type of stroke occurs deep within the brain, often when blood pressure is particularly high.
  • Lobar hemorrhage. This type of stroke is generally not caused by hypertension but occurs when blood leaks into one of the four lobes of the brain.
Any kind of bleeding into the brain is called an intracerebral hemorrhage, says Muhammad Taqi, MD, from Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center. Find out the most common cause - and how it affects stroke - by watching this clip.

Continue Learning about Intracerebral Hemorrhage

How can I prevent deep intracerebral hemorrhage?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
The following suggestions can help prevent deep intracerebral hemorrhage:Control blood pressure.Take...
What increases my risk for intracerebral hemorrhage?
The risk for intracerebral hemorrhage increases in individuals with long-term, or chronic, high ...
What are the treatment options for intracerebral hemorrhage?
Intracerebral hemorrhage occurs when a blood vessel in the brain bursts. Surgery may be an optio...
How do I manage my intracerebral hemorrhage on a daily basis?
Intracerebral hemorrhage is a life-threatening condition and recovery is a slow and challenging ...