How can I help my child learn to make wiser choices?

Michele Borba
Here is a behavior makeover to help your child learn to make safe and wise choices on their own

1. To help kids think about the outcomes of their choice ask "if-then" questions: "If you make that choice, then what would your friends say?
   2. Tell a young kid to pretend to be a fortune-teller. "How will I feel tomorrow if I choose that today?"
   3. Develop a "conscience test" for your child to use in making tougher choices. The Grandma Test is: "What would grandma say if she found out?" The Newspaper Test is: "How would you feel about your choice is it made the front page news?"
   4. To help an older child weigh the pros and cons of each choice, teach him to ask himself: "What are all the good and bad things that might happen if a chose that?"

You can find more behavior makeover tips in the book, No More Misbehavin' Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Intellectual Changes In A School Age Child

How can I make my child realize that actions do have consequences?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is a simple secret to help your child realize actions do have consequences.When my children wer...
How can I nurture tolerance in my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is a simple secret to nurture tolerance in our children.Encourage your child to look for what h...
How can parents raise a child's IQ?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
These four steps can help to improve your child's IQ: Talk to your child. (And talk and talk and ...
What can I do to help my child learn to stand up for himself?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is a behavior makeover tips to help kids be less likely to follow the crowd.If you want him to ...