How can parents raise a child's IQ?

Michele Borba
These four steps can help to improve your child's IQ:

Talk to your child. (And talk and talk and talk). One of the strongest correlations to IQ is a strong verbal ability. The best way to nurture your child’s verbal skills is by just plain talking and talking and talking to them.

Focus on your child. Researchers contend that eldest children generally have higher self-esteem. They have stronger confidence and some of that is because they spend more uninterrupted time with us.

Treat your child as capable. We give our elder kids more responsibilities and we just plain expect more of them at a younger age. How you are treated does become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Let your child tutor his younger sibling. The eldest child has another benefit: he has a younger sibling to help. In fact, in many cases, the oldest child gains the most (IQ wise anyway) from teaching his younger brother.

Continue Learning about Intellectual Changes In A School Age Child

How can I nurture tolerance in my child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is a simple secret to nurture tolerance in our children.Encourage your child to look for what h...
How can I make my child realize that actions do have consequences?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is a simple secret to help your child realize actions do have consequences.When my children wer...
What can I do to help my child learn to stand up for himself?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is a behavior makeover tips to help kids be less likely to follow the crowd.If you want him to ...
How can I teach my child the basic golden rules of fairness?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Grandma's Rule: If you cut the cake, the other child chooses which piece to take.No take backs: One ...