When are intermediate- and long-acting insulins usually taken?

A single shot of insulin can sometimes be enough to bring the blood glucose into the target range. Usually, a long-acting insulin or intermediate-acting insulin is given at bedtime or in the morning. The insulin is used to provide the basal level of insulin. Long-acting insulins provide a steady level of insulin throughout the day and night. Taking intermediate-acting insulin at bedtime helps lower your fasting glucose level. Taking intermediate-acting insulin in the morning provides some coverage for the food you eat as well as basal insulin.

Continue Learning about Insulin

What You Need to Know About Insulin
What You Need to Know About Insulin
Watch Darria Long-Gillespie, SVP of Clinical Strategy with Sharecare, explain why insulin is one of the most important hormones in the human body, and...
What is neutral protamine Hagedorn (NPH) insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
NPH insulin is an intermediate-acting insulin; NPH stands for neutral protamine Hagedorn. On average...
What should I do to my insulin schedule when crossing time zones?
Crossing time zones can confuse your insulin schedule. You may need to make a new plan for timing yo...
Dr. Julie Chen Shares Some Tips
Dr. Julie Chen Shares Some Tips